Posted by; Ron on February 23rd, 2015 blogs

Perhaps, you found love miles away from home but still wishes to marry in your own country. Under the US immigration policy, if a bona fide citizen desires to marry a foreign national residing abroad, the US citizen may be able to pursue a fiancé (e) visa for the foreign national.  After marriage, the foreign national partner can then apply for adjustment of status to permanent residence. In other words, a fiancé (e) visa can be your means to reunite with your life partner in the US. However to be eligible, there are a lot of requirements to accomplish. From V and I Solutions, below is a list of what the law requires from both sponsors and beneficiaries when applying for a fiancé (e) visa:

  • The sponsor must be a bona fide American citizen. Lawful permanent resident “green card” holders of the United States are not allowed to obtain fiancé (e) visas.
  • Both parties must be able to prove that they are ready, willing and legally able to marry. This means that if either of the sponsor or beneficiary has been married previously, he or she is either divorced, widowed or the marriage was annulled.
  • The sponsor must have met his or her fiancé (e) in person within the previous two years, and must demonstrate the existence of a serious relationship. The proof of the meeting should consist of photos together, and passport stamps.
  • The petitioner and foreign fiancé (e) must have the intent to marry within 90 days upon the arrival of the foreign fiancé in the US.
  • The petitioner must also meet certain income requirements, normally 125% of the current poverty level.
  • Both the petitioner and the foreign fiancé (e) must meet certain standards, such as no previous immigration law violations, and lack of a criminal record. Many arrests and/or convictions are exempt from this requirement.
  • The foreign fiancé (e) must pass a medical exam at a clinic approved by the US Consulate that is processing the fiancé (e) visa application. The fiancé (e) must not have any type of communicable disease or serious mental illness.
  • If the beneficiary is between 18-21 years old, the embassy requires they get notarized written parental consent from at least one parent. If the fiancé (e) is between 22-25 years old, the embassy requires they get notarized written evidence of parental advice from at least one parent.
  • The beneficiary must possess an international passport at the time of her interview at the US Consulate. However, this is not needed to file the petition.

To know more about various US visa and immigration policies, contact V and I Solutions today. A trusted name in the visa and immigration consultancy industry, we strive to deliver impeccable and dependable solutions in helping you build your dreams abroad.